Insects and Travel
Mosquitoes & other insects transmit a variety of diseases. Aside from transmitting disease, insect bites can be unpleasant & can lead to skin infections.
* Protect yourself with an insect repellent containing diethyl toluamide (DEET). This can be sprayed on exposed skin & clothing.
* Wear clothing that covers the arms & legs when insects are biting.
* Use nets or stay in screened or air-conditioned accommodation.
* Consider permethrin impregnated clothing & nets during high risk travel (e.g. Trans-Africa).
* Understand the biting habits of mosquitoes: The malaria-transmitting mosquito bites mostly at night & is attracted to dark clothing & highly scented perfumes. The dengue fever-transmitting mosquito tends to bite during the cooler times of day, early morning & late afternoon.